Visit me at my new blog Sweet Violet Photography

Monday, December 12, 2011

What about no header?

I've noticed this here and there and today when I saw Lemon Jitters removed her header from her newest design I just had to blog about it! Since I'm blogging about blog design. So today I thought I'd re-do my blog layout again - with something fun!!

How do you eliminate your header? In blogger it's not obvious - there might be a better way but this is how I did it.

I did this tutorial this afternoon using a private blog that I have just for testing out template code and things like that...

So here we start with a generic blogger template:

Click on "Template" then on "Customize" then I switched to a simple template
Click over to "Layout"and pick a sidebar
Click on "layout" and then click on the header gadget. Click "remove" to remove the header.
Click back to your template and then click "adjust widths" set the sidebar to the width to 400px 
Make sure that you re-size your sidebar header image to 400px as well

I ended up adjusting this to 300px later

Upload your image to your favorite image hosting service and load it as a gadget.


You may need to adjust the title of your blog...

Adjust the title of your blog to 1px & change the color of your title and description to white.



Here is what it looks like with a canvas texture background.


I also tried it with the chevron stripes... which I'm really into right now. (I had to zoom out just a little to get his screen capture)



I think this layout looks really good on a white background - here is a screen capture with white background - but is it too boring?


I didn't mess with the sidebars much since there's lots and lots left to do...


Here's yesterday's layout, in case you missed it.


5 comments:

The F Girl said...

I like it. Your blog looks very peaceful and serene this way.

And since you asked for responses:

I noticed that when I came here from my feed reader and then wanted to go from a certain post to your home page, that I didn't know where to click to get there. Normally I see a 'home' button, or, more often, I just click on the header of a blog to go to their 'home'. Now I was searching and finally decided to click in the address bar to type it myself. It could be that I overlooked something, but maybe it's worth to look at? I might not be the only one getting confused that way :)

But other than that: My compliments. Your blog is a calm haven in all the loud noise online.

rachel said...

I like the no header look, I've been thinking about trying it sometime. I like the chevron stripes too. : )

Faith Raider said...

I like the no header look too, but I'm really missing my navigation - I guess I could put them as graphics in the sidebar... It's definitely a fun look!

eef said...

i like the no-header look! i don't think it would work for me since i have a million links, but it's so nice and clean looking! i like the chevron too!

Tara said...

I agree! I like the no header, but I love the convenience of the navigation right up top