Visit me at my new blog Sweet Violet Photography

Friday, November 11, 2011

Shades of Autumn: Brown

Shades of Autumn Photo Challenge 

I am so loving this photography challenge!! Thank you so much Alicia, Kristi & Rebecca for hosting this!



Yesterday my Little man decided he wanted to make Gingerbread cookies. We used the Betty Crocker mix from a bag, quick, easy, turned out perfectly. It seemed like the perfect thing to photograph for this challenge... but I also know how much the hosts of his challenge like outdoors shots so I took my camera outside with me while my girls were at school and my boys were taking a nap.

I tried something new - I put a macro filter on my 55-200 lens. The result? It blew my mind. Not at all what I was expecting. I now had a tiny little depth of field and a magnification that made the sweetgum balls turn into abstract art.



this is one of my favorites from this session - not brown, but I just had to include it!
I was inspired by the photo from Jenny Rain last week and was thinking of that as I took this.



Below are photos I took without the macro filter - but still with my 55-200mm lens. I love all of the different variations and shades of brown there are - right in the backyard.



I brought a few of my favorite pine cones inside to photograph. I still used my long lens (even though I almost never shoot with my 55-200 indoors) and I really like the result.





There's still time to link-up with my photography challenge as well. I'll be picking my top five this weekend!

Also linking up with:
and then, she {snapped}Photobucket

26 comments:

May said...

Love all your shots. The detail of the pinecones is wonderful. I had to laugh that the gingerbread is a mix. Looking at the photo they look so Martha Stewart perfect!

Beth @ Snaps of Our Life said...

Great shots Faith!

Faith said...

Ha! No all the Martha Steward genes in my family went to my little sister :) but thank you!

Lauri said...

Such a great collection of browns, I love all the pinecone macros, something to aspire to.

Ashley Sisk said...

Faith - these are all so gorgeous. Beautiful work.

Kimberly said...

Wow! These are great! I've never used my macro filters on my 55-200 lens. I'll have to give that a try!

Faith said...

I don't know that I'd recommend it - the DOF is insanely shallow.

Jodi said...

amazing pictures faith! I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

satakieli said...

I've never thought about using a macro filter before. I have some old ones that belonged to my dad when he shot film. I'm tempted to give it a whirl now, because those macros really are something else!

Also, the gingerbread cookies look awesome. I've resigned myself to baking from a mix too, I can safely say that I can cook but I can't bake.

http://www.bumblesandlight.com

Carletta said...

Lovely series - the pinecone images are awesome!
I'm trying your experiment for sure. :)

Rachel~Wildflower Photography Studio and a little bit vintage said...

so lovely!! adore the mushroom capture! happy weekend! :)

frecklesandfences said...

I'm loving all of these photos! I tried to narrow it down to my favorite and I just can't. Love, love, love them.

Cedar said...

Really gorgeous captures! Those cookies look fantastic!

Misty said...

These are all terrific!

Light Trigger said...

oh, your photos are so lovely and simple!!! love them all!!!

Light Trigger: OUR ENTRY

deb duty said...

Oh my!! What an incredible collection of photos! I love the idea of cookies for the brown challenge and your outdoor macros are incredible! I think the second leaf is my favorite.

Brenda said...

Beautiful pictures. I am going to check into a macro filter.

JennyRain said...

oh my gosh! I have never heard of a macro filter but this is AWESOME for a result. Wow. I love the indoor pinecone shots too... those would make rockstar stock photos :)

And I'm humbled, and honored, that my crazy photo inspired you. Thank you :)

Jen said...

Beautiful shots, Faith!

Dawn said...

Wow! Beautiful photos!!

Yuè said...

wonderful photos. love the cookies

homeschoolceo said...

Beautiful! I

Kristi {at} Live and Love...Out Loud said...

So many stunning captures, Faith! I especially love the gingerbread cookies (did you save any for me? lol), the pine cone macros and the brown leaf clinging for dear life to that branch. You always do such great work!
Thanks for joining us in the Shades of Autumn Photo Challenge. I hope you'll be back again on Friday for our new theme, white. Have a great day!

alicia said...

So many beautiful captures to pick from! Wow! Really love that last one of the pinecones. Such rich texture and love the composition. Nicely done. Can't wait to see what you come up with for white, which is seriously stumping me. lol.

Shanna said...

I love all of your macro shots! Such a great collection of fall.

Life with Kaishon said...

These pictures are SO pretty. I have to get a macro for ring shots and I keep meaning to. This reminds me that I must do it asap. Gorgeous. Gorgeous. GORGEOUS! : )