Visit me at my new blog Sweet Violet Photography

Monday, November 7, 2011

I finally figured out how to use my speedlight!

The other night I walked into the living room to see Eli propped up on Daniel's tummy while Daniel was dozing on the couch and half-listening to the news.





I knew I wanted to take a photo of it but I also knew that despite my D700's awesome ISO range even it would have a difficult time capturing a scene lit only by the TV. So,  feeling quite hesitant, I got out my speed light and started snapping away. I snapped off about a dozen shots before I got something that I liked, but I'm really happy with the results.

Eli was pretty interested in the commercials on the TV
watcha doin mommy?
gotta love that hair!



What is a speedlight? Well, it's not a pop-up flash!

It attaches to the top of the camera (called a "hotshoe") and is great for low-light situations. You can also use it in bright light as a fill-light - to fill in the harsh shadows that bright sunlight creates.

It's better than your pop-up flash because it has an attached diffuser, also the flash can be rotated up and down and swiveled so you can bounce the light off of the ceiling, walls, reflectors or umbrellas. It has a much more natural look.
Amazon Links: Nikon // Canon


flash pointed directly at subject
flash bounced off of ceiling
flash pointed directly at subject
flash bounced off of wall
I think the bounced flash looks a lot softer and more natural looking. It's still not perfect but I'm happy to finally fell comfortable using my speedlight!


Live, Love, TRAVEL

17 comments:

Rose's Daughter said...

I've been wondering what exactly a speedlite does! Thanks for explaining!

Mommy of KraftyGang kids said...

wow, thats neat!!! :)

Misty said...

I love my speedlight. I don's use it that often but it's a great tool to have.

AJ said...

Great job with the speed-light!
It's on my wish list...

G'mom Becky said...

WAY COOL!!!
I probably won't ever own one... but you go girl!!! go on taking wonderful pics of the grand kids (and hubbs too if he is in the room!)
Love y'all lots,
Mum

LeAnna said...

I am SO glad you posted this! I have been debating getting a speedlight for the past few months. Being such a flash snob that we natural light photography junkies are, I was so hesitant. I'm loving your examples here. So, which do you recommend? I have a D90.

Carol said...

Awesome! I'm hoping Santa brings me one of these for Xmas!

Elizabeth said...

Wow, that looks amazing! You wouldn't even know there was a flash! (well, from my untrained point of view... hahahah!)

Love,
Elizabeth

Laura Railing said...

Try getting a diffusing cap for it! If you shop online you can get them fairly cheap. Not the big hood that goes over the flash but an actual little plastic cap to go over the flash part. It lets you diffuse the light but also makes it more powerful light towards the subject. I love mine!

Jodi said...

I have been working with my speedlight too its such a great tool.

Love the smiling picture :)

JennyRain said...

I can hardly stand the cuteness of the hair! I have a d700 too and my most intimidating aspect of photography is picking up my speedlight - eeek!

Darcie said...

i need one of those!!

Tara said...

Love the speedlight!! He is getting so big..wow!

Skye said...

No comparison with the speedlight! I try to avoid the pop up flash at all costs too... blegh. I have asked Santa for a speedlight for Christmas here. :) (and a zoom lens, but that might be pushing it LOL)

Jaymi said...

really great tips! I love bouncing my speedlight off the ceiling! I've also had good luck with a Gary Fong Lightsphere diffuser (which is about 30 bucks on amazon.) Thanks for linking up!

homeschoolceo said...

I don't use mine that often, but I really need to practice with it more. Nothing to it but to do it, right?

Your guys are too cute! Love that hair on baby boy :)

And D700?? I want one of those! I'm currently shooting with a D5000. Do you love it?

Tara said...

I love the bounce light