Visit me at my new blog Sweet Violet Photography

Friday, October 7, 2011

Oh Fall how I love thee

I'm sitting here by my window, wearing a sweater (oh the bliss!) eating a nice warm bowl of chicken white chili soup (because I added too much of the chicken broth from the baked chicken) with black beans and corn, studded with bits of sour cream that make this mama happy. I made a nice cheesy quesadilla to go with it but I sat down at the computer to check on my photography students and totally forgot about it! So I'm dipping it in my chili and calling it good. I've got a big pot of red chili in the crock pot - and just knowing that dinner will be happily simmering away while I slog through homework with my kids is a huge relief - I had not even anticipated how happy it would make me feel. The leftover chili will make a terrific arizona wagon wheel over the weekend which will make the hubs quite happy after all of the mac and cheese, hot dogs and chicken nuggets he's had to endure lately.

I love fall. I love starting to use the oven and my crock pot again. I love making hot soups and chilis, baking rolls and biscuits and cornbread and muffins - but in my flip-flops. I love wearing sweaters again and love sleeve t-shirts. I love wearing my jeans again and opening up the windows to let in the fresh air after the sweltering summer. I love the chilly evenings and snuggling up under my quilt with my hubs while we watch TV at night and the cold morning that call for snuggles with my kiddos and hot bowls of oatmeal.

I also love to colors of fall, we're even planning a road trip up to the North Georgia Mountains to see some of the fall colors there and I expect that I'll take a gazillion pictures while we're there. So I am really looking forward to photographing the colors of fall during this link-up series with AliciaKristi and Rebecca.


This week's theme is green which was a really tricky one for me to figure out. Sure - there is green all around me but I couldn't figure out what I really wanted to photograph for this challenge. I've got a photo from this spring that would be great - but no, that's cheating. Would some chili on a green plate count? Not really. Surely I can come up with something for this challenge, right? I'm sure when I look through everybody else's photos I'll be slapping myself upside the head and declaring "why didn't I think of that?!" but for better or worse, this is what I've got.

I just took my camera outside with my this morning and took a hundred photos (more or less) of things that were more or less green. There was another that I almost used for this challenge you can see it here on my Flickr page but I thought it had too much red in it, I also added a few of my favorites from this morning to my Facebook page.


Update: I noticed that everyone was posting multiple photos so I thought I'd add some more photos to this post (yay!) squares pane Oct7.jpg DSC_6080.JPG DSC_6019.JPG
I created this template which you can download here, it's copied from the one Alicia used in her post.

See my tutorial on how to use templates in PSE here

mouse over to see another point of focus:
thanks to Ashley Sisk for helping me do this mouseover!

While you're here I hope you'll take a minute to VOTE for your favorite photo from this week's photography challenge.

17 comments:

Beth Snapping Away said...

Gorgeous shot Faith!

alita jewel said...

The focus is pretty tight on the grasses, which I adore. I really like the light in this shot, too. Everything about this picture is verdant. Perfect GREEN capture.

PS. I love my crock pot, too. Unfortunately I've burnt 2 meals in it this fall. ick! lol...

Ashley Sisk said...

Really great perspective on this shot. I love fall for all those reasons too. Nothing I like more than the crisp chill in the air and long sleeve tshirts.

satakieli said...

Oh Faith, I LOVE this! The haze is absolutely stunning!

http://www.bumblesandlight.com

satakieli said...

Back again because I saw your tweet :)

Love the collection of photos you posted, the grass ones are my favourite, so beautiful!

I hope you can join us next week for the colour theme 'yellow'!

http://www.bumblesandlight.com

Tara said...

Love the haze! and I couldn't agree with you more on fall! :) I wish I was more into cooking though.. one of my downfalls.. someday I hope I can enjoy it more for my husband and future kids!

Kristi, Live and Love...Out Loud said...

I'm loving those grass shots! Thanks for joining us in the Shades of Autumn Photo Challenge. You are so stinkin' awesome...offering up a free PSE template! :) Can't wait to see what you come up with for next week's yellow theme. Have a great weekend. :)

Abi said...

Yes! I love having the windows open, the breeze blowing in and soup in the crock-pot. We had oatmeal for breakfast this morning and my oldest boy said "this is the life!" :)

Abi said...

Oh, and I love your grass photo! The dof, bokeh and lighting are magical!

Lori said...

Yes, I'm loving all the collages today! So pretty. I may have to start using them.

Love your photos!

Lori

Sarah said...

Wow Faith! These are gorgeous.

MKO said...

great pictures,
on this pictures autumn looks like better then i feel it is.

kr

Cedar said...

The light and haze in that first shot is just beautiful! Sounds like a fabulous morning capturing green with lots of terrific photos as a result!

Jodi said...

The last shot is beautiful. Green with just a touch of purple.. loveee it :)

Joni said...

so lovely. i need to get out my big girl camera and start taking some fall photos.

Ky said...

I haven't visited you in quite a while. Shame on me. I don't spend anywhere near as much time in the blogosphere as I used to.
You are such an awesome photographer! Fantastic eye.
Love your work, Faith!

alicia said...

What a lovely collection of green shots. Love the collage. Thanks for joining the Shades of Autumn Challenge. Next up is yellow.