Visit me at my new blog Sweet Violet Photography

Saturday, October 8, 2011

At Dusk

Daniel left last night to go to the store - leaving me with my beautiful boy and some beautiful evening light...  It was a wonderful quiet evening with the TV off. I know this is a lot of photos but I just couldn't pick one favorite. As you can tell - I'm really digging that darker, under-exposed look at the moment. 










The quilt in these photos is one that my mom made for me... I LOVE it.

My basic editing procedure with these (in PSE 7) was to add a gradient map level, a levels layer and for the brown ones I added a medium brown square at about 21% opacity. I should have changed the layer mode to overlay. That makes a big difference for how PSE applies the layer to the image. Also for a few of these I made high pass and gaussian blur filters and then then used the eraser tool at 300px big and varying levels of opacity to bring out details (around Eli's face) and soften some of the noise.

I've been editing photos all morning and have lots more to show you tomorrow!

I'm linking up with:
Photography love...{A Photo} Challenge

8 comments:

Rachel said...

Would you share more about the 4th picture? I'd love to know your exif data and your steps to edit it. It's stunning! I pinned it! :)

Faith said...

oh thank you!!
I really like that 4th photo too :)
It was taken on the floor by the window just as the sun was setting. It was taken with my Nikon D700 (with my f/3.5-5.6 18-55mm lens)
f/3.5 aperture
1/13 shutter
3200 ISO
I used a high pass filter and a gradient map. Then I adjusted the light levels and adjusted the color used for the gradient mapping.

Jodi said...

I love the 4th picture too. The black and white conversions are wonderful!

Hope you weekend is going well :)

Eloise said...

your photographs are amazing! just one question: What advice would you give to an amateur photographer? hehehe,

http://www.lakebell-photojournal.blogspot.com

G'mom Becky said...

wonderful photos!
2nd one shows Eli is your child! the hair! just like yours at that age!
LOL
Mum

Sarah said...

Awww. So very sweet.

Emily Ruth said...

Awwwww!!!! Soooo sweet! You did a great job editing these photos.

borrowingphotographs.blogspot.com

Jaymi said...

love these--i think the 4th is my favorite, great b&w conversion. I just started a link up to share photo tips, you should come check it out! this post would be perfect :)