Visit me at my new blog Sweet Violet Photography

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Blog design

Hey there! WOW this week has been even busier than I thought it would be! I've also been busy working on some changes to the blog and some stuff for my NEW upcoming photography class 30 Days of Simply SLR - which I'm really looking forward to! Also I've been working with Branson and Kristin on some new buttons for my June Sponsor Swap! (You can see what I've been working on here) I am super-excited about it and can't wait to share some super-fab-blogs and the amazing women behind them with you! (If you want to get in on the fun and be featured on my blog it's not too late!) Apparently I can no longer contain myself and have given into the itch to start tweaking my blogs design again... even though I had planned on putting it off to the fall.

So since this is what's been on my mind lately I thought I would open up my design notebook and share some blog design inspiration with you!

A Rosy Note
Out of all of the blog designs I am going to share with you in this post - this one inspired me the most.  In fact it was difficult for me to not copy her design exactly - I love it that much. I love the stitching in her header - which, as I have discovered, is not as easy as it looks. I love the photo juxtaposed with the block of color and the sweet, subtle tones of the design. Also I just adore that handwritten font for her tag line. Everything is simple and understated and I was inspired like crazy by it!

heres looking at me kid
 I've been thinking about this blog's design ever since I saw it for the first time about a month ago. I just had fall in love with it instantly because of the title's nod to Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca.  I loved the design so much I had to search back through my history to make sure that I'd saved it in my blog design notebook on springpad. My favorite part of the layout is the "follow me" section. I am so going to have something like that in my blog re-design... at some point. Also you'll have to check out her twitter page - the background is simply perfect.


In Honor of Design
This design literally made me gasp when I saw it for the first time. Y'all know how much I love negative space and this one has it in spades! I love the simplicity of this design and the soft tones in the navigation tabs. Plus she has some seriously awesome sponsors on her blog... seriously. 


Mama and the Dudes


These next two blogs were recently redesigned and I have to say this one rocks. I just adore the green plastic tag gun font that she used throughout her design, but the handwritten font for the title softens it out really nicely.

6th Street Design School



I love the new look to this blog as well... the use of color is especially appealing to me... just a couple colors repeated throughout the design but the effect is powerfully sophisticated.

I go by Katie

Last of all I just have to mention this blog that I found the other day. The design is super simple but don't you just love it? Plus this blog is just packed with great advice for anyone with an Etsy shop (or thinking about doing that sort of thing) or anyone looking for a blog with lots of eye candy.

So what do you think? What are your favorite elements of a these blogs design? What about your blog? Do you have a favorite element? What about mine?! In any case look for some changes coming soon!! 

10 comments:

Joy said...

i'm so jealous! i can't wait until i get far enough in my graphic design schooling to be able to make rockin awesome blog layouts!

Danni Meyers said...

Those are really awesome. I wish I knew a little more about html/css to make my blog look nicer.

Kristen said...

you have a GREAT eye for style and design and whatever you go with will look great :) When you lay it all out like this, it makes it pretty difficult to decide! Thanks for the shout-out, I will help in any way I can...
xoxo
Kristen

Anna of IHOD said...

First of all, so happy to find your blog...think I am going to love it here!
Second, you made my day with the shout out! It is so nice to get feedback like this on my design! Thank you my dear!
<3
Anna

A Rosy Note said...

Hi Faith! I was so surprised when I was looking through my google reader and saw my header. I'm glad you like it :)

~tricia

Ambika said...

Love these, should try some of the ideas out!

Jamie Rubeis said...

These are awesome. I think I really like the first design A LOT!

Branson said...

Aaah... You are killing me here, lol. Decided I would not change my design til after I do 31 days to build a better blog in june. I feel the itch more than ever now, though. Beautiful inspirations... I love your vlog now, but am excited to see where you go next!

Maddie said...

Wow, I love all these! I'm having a giveaway, check it out here!

Bill and Kristen said...

I love the very first blog..."A Rosy Note". I love the soft colors and the fonts are perfect! Also, the author of "6th street design school" was one of my best high school friends...small virtual world :)

(And just so you know who I am, I'm kristeniah from your eClass)