Visit me at my new blog Sweet Violet Photography

Monday, April 18, 2011

thinking

I'm still working on editing those pictures I said I would post - I'm having a bit of an editing crisis and nothing I'm doing is looking good enough to post. grrrrrrr.... But here are two photos from the weekend that I don't hate.

DSC_9704
home-made chocolate chip waffles 
DSC_9687
with nutella - yum!

I've had a lot on my mind lately... I've been reading about creative business lately - things that have stirred up my creative juices and caused me to ask some beautifully big "what if?"s.

Then the hubs and I had a talk the other night about my photography classes, one of those "it's time to take things to the next level" talks. One that left me with a lot to think about and a long list of things to do.

I finally ordered my new camera a Nikon D700  - I've had the money sitting in my bank account for months waiting for me to finally make up my mind on where to buy it from. It hurt a little to see all that money go - I'm sure it'll feel ten times better when the mail man rings my doorbell!

I have to figure out how to get a Tax ID number for my photography classes so that I can file taxes as a small business next year - I have no idea how to do that but it's a scary/exciting "next step".

I made a list of possible domain names to register - gonna try to do that before my new little guy rocks my world! (It's probably going to be Simplicity-something. Got any ideas?)

I moved that list to springpad so I'll always have it with me - even on my phone, so I can add to it while I'm sitting in carpool, or walking through the grocery store or wherever.

I've been thinking a lot about where I want to go with my classes and who I want to be on this blog.

I spent the weekend browsing other photography and design blogs that made me want to start all over again - fresh and clean. Or hire a graphic designer to make it all sleek and slim and gorgeous.

By the way... I ♥ micro-blogging!

This scary wonderful thing that I've been doing and slowly creating is exhausting and exhilarating, it's frustrating and wildly fulfilling. I'm stumbling along making lots of mistakes but slowly growing. It's getting better and better. I'm growing in confidence. Sometimes I get a bit of a fat head and the humbling process makes me wince - but I'm grateful for it. It shows I'm growing. And when I feel like giving up I look back at all of the other times I thought about giving up and didn't with gratitude because simply not giving up has brought me a long ways.

I wish I had some light-bulb moment of revelation to share or some inspirational word of encouragement.

But this is just me.

Being real.


DSC_9749
and this is my preggo belly. photo taken my kiddo.

Now back to work.

10 comments:

Tiffany said...

omg I didn't know you were pregnant. I guess I don't pay enough attention!! so cute, love the blury belly <3!

Cara @ Mischief and Laughs said...

Tax ID's are easy to get. http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/moneymatters/a/taxidhowtoget.htm

The actual business taxes aren't as hard as I thought they'd be either. I did mine on my 1040 (use schedule C and schedule SE.) Hopefully they are right!

Sarah said...

Those waffles look amazing! Yummy! Yay for taking the next step and for a new camera.

alicia said...

I hear ya about the trying to be happy with your photo edits. Sometimes they just don't come. Congrats on the "next" step with your business. And on the pregnancy.

Ashley Sisk said...

You've got a lot going on but if there's one person that can figure it out...it's you. Good luck girl!

AlyGatr said...

I'm still trying to figure out what "creative business" I want to be in. With 2 kids and a full time job outside of the home, it's all about even finding the time!

Abi said...

Hey, what a great post! I'm excited for you and I can't wait to see the photos you take with your new camera!!

rachel said...

domain name ideas: simplicityphotography, simplyfaith, simplicityphoto... and jealous of your camera purchase!

Kimberly Gauthier said...

Tax IDs are easy and I see that someone gave you a link. Good luck with stepping it up in 2011. Love that you got a new camera. I'm so excited for you to receive the box!

Looking forward to seeing what you do as the year progresses :)

Nicolasa said...

Thanks so much for sharing! It sounds like you have a lot on your mind. Good luck sorting things out and getting things going! I am so excited for you!