Visit me at my new blog Sweet Violet Photography

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Our first pool day of the season

With weather here consistently above 80(f) degrees our community pool opened up last weekend and so today after the hubs came home from work we took our first trip to the pool and it was a ton of fun! The hubs works a lot so having this quality one on one time with him is really precious and one of the reasons why we love being at the pool so much!

I brought my camera this time - since my D80 isn't my only camera anymore I feel more comfortable taking it out and about with me. All of the shots below were taken with my Nikon D80 and my Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 lens with vibration reduction - which is a really excellent lens for this type of situation. The zoom is really great and the auto-focus is very fast.

It was definitely difficult to shoot since the sun was constantly going behind the clouds and my shots would go from severely overexposed to severely underexposed in just a couple minutes. I filled up my 2GB memory card with photos so what you are seeing here is just maybe 2% of the photos I took - a lot of them were really awful, but some of them are really nice and it's very satisfying to see how my photography skills have improved just since last summer. These are all SOOC (strait out of camera - or unedited)

At the pool
Shooting in such bright sunlight is brutal! I had forgotten how difficult this could be. From my camera's preview screen I thought this would be a wasted shot so I'm really glad it's not though I'm still not crazy about how little of her eyes you can see.

At the poolAt the pool
Love the depth of field in these shots!

At the poolAt the pool
My little man wasn't so sure about getting in the pool at first - the water was really cold!

Today I read this post by Lynda of The Daily Window about getting faceless shots and I was inspired to get more of those as I was photographing my kids today.

At the pool
The hubs brought his waterproof camera and took some pics of the kids underwater!
At the pool
At the pool
At the pool
At the pool
At the poolAt the pool

At the pool
At the poolAt the pool
Little Man was splashing a lot - which his sister did NOT love. She got over it quickly though.


At the pool

At the poolAt the pool
At the pool
My little bug lover playing with a Lady Bug she rescued from the pool.
At the poolAt the pool

At the pool
He's trying to get his sister's attention and is saying "watch me!"


At the pool
At the pool
At the pool
At the pool
At the poolAt the pool
At the pool

14 comments:

Jaymi said...

what beautiful, fun shots! they came out great considering what harsh light you were working with!

Adriana Iris said...

great shots.

Jessica said...

I'm so jealous! I wish it was warmer here. It's been in the 60's and low 70's and there's been rain every day for a long time. Oh well - we have had a little bit of sun in between the rain showers! Looks like you had a blast! :)

Nicole said...

Wow. Wonderful captures. You know, I have the same problem. I was just thinking about that and wondering what other photographers do. Do they stand in one perfectly lit spot and wait for the action? I find myself chasing the kids and turning in different directions and clicking either before or after changing the settings which usually means I have missed the action. (it's either over or under exposed or missed all together.) Maybe I just need to move faster! Your captures are absolutely perfect. Great work Faith!

Tara said...

wish the weather was warmer here!!

Carrie said...

Oh how I wish I was in a pool! You handled the direct sun challenge very well!

Holly said...

Although it's been hitting the high 80's in MD, it doesn't stay that way long or otherwise I'd be looking for the nearest pool. I love the photo, very nice and helped brighten my day!

- Jessi - said...

Cute! You all had a great time :)

Tricia said...

You lucky ducks! At the pool already! Our public pools won't open until after Memorial Day.
You know, I don't know if I have ever seen a pic of your husband before. I loved these shots! The one of your husband and the reflection in his glasses is so much fun! I love reflection shots!
I hope that you are feeling well and enjoying life.

xo*tricia

Ashley Sisk said...

Is it really already pool season?! I actually talked with Casey last night about faceless shots - I really need to work on that more. I think in terms of lifestyle photography, those shots really tell a good story.

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

What a lovely family you have. Looks like it was tons of fun . . .

Tim said...

Alot of great shots here. Nice work Faith!

Lynda said...

Such great shots! You nailed these!

Looks like you all had so much fun! Did you get in the water at all?

Thanks so much for the mention of my post!

Kimberly Gauthier said...

These are fantastic. I love the shots with the water droplets frozen in the air.