Visit me at my new blog Sweet Violet Photography

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

DIPTYCH

I noticed that one of the themes for this week's Scavenger Hunt Sunday is to do a diptych and I thought that maybe everyone might not know what that is.

So here is what Ask.com says a diptych is: A diptych is a photograph that uses two different or identical images side by side to form one single artistic statement. The two images can literally be in contact with each other, or separated by a border or frame.

Here are some examples of diptyichs:

A diptych may be blurry and then in focus
1 22 11 copy2
{mine}

Here is another example of blurry/focus that I love!
amore

Another way to do a diptych is to have one shot further back and then a close up...

or maybe it tells a story...
i walked for miles till i found you (FP explored)

or maybe the one explains the other...
loss




sometimes they have a similar feeling or they communicate something together...

sometimes they share a similar mood or tone...
att blunda och se allting

you can also do your diptych this way...
greenness
but then there are others that have nothing to do with each other.
C'est La Vie
...at all. 

So I hope that this is inspiring to you and gives you a better idea of what to create for this weekend :)

25 comments:

Cat said...

Oh this is an awesome post. I was struggling trying to think how I could come up with something. Great inspiration, thanks!

Isabel said...

Thank you for sharing this. Now I can think of what to capture for this theme! :)

Kimberly said...

Thanks for posting this! I had to look up diptych also but still was a little confused. :)

Jessaca said...

Hello
This is my first time to comment. I have been folowing you for a couple of weeks now. Thanks for posting this I was stumped on this promt for the Scanvenger hunt. I had seen some photos like this...but thought more on the literal terms of the definition that it had to be some wooden book.
Also I had sent you an email Maybe 2 weeks ago about seeing about participating in the Hugs from Henry Project. I'm not sure if you got it.
Have a good one!!!

Nicolasa said...

Oh, thank you so much for sharing! I was going to have look into this because I didn't know what it was!

Becky said...

Wow! Thanks! I googled the term and came up with wikipedia's definition so I had an idea, but didn't know how it tied into photography :0). Very cool!

kbreints said...

Haha. These are all beautiful, but I am more confused then ever. lol

Keara @ Now I Know What Life Is All About said...

Great examples! Thank you for sharing!

Ashley Sisk said...

Great idea to explain diptych!

Abi said...

Very inspiring, thanks Faith!

Jamie Rubeis said...

This is great! I really didn't know what a diptych was. I am trying to make notes of all the photo challenges this week and see if I can come up with some photos for a few.

Simply.Aya said...

Wow! I'm absolutely stunned by how amazing these are, you're work never fails to inspire me. Thank you for explaining what a diptych is, I think I'll have fun playing around with this idea for awhile.

Melissa said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you - I looked up the definition and thought it was a hinged book which of course I don't own. It sounds like you can just do about anything as long as 2 pictures are put side by side. That was awesome of you to share this us.

Trish ~ ♥ ~ said...

that's a pretty awesome way of displaying them. I like it.

Jaimie said...

ooooh ok ... I thought they meant the whole.. "two flat objects connected with a hinge" thing.. i was soooo confused. this helped!

Carrie said...

Thank you! I didn't know. I'm a newbie. This is an awesome post. So inspiring.

ALELY said...

thanks for stopping by a few days ago. i really appreciate that.

these are great examples. i really love the far away and close up dyptich pics. thanks for sharing.

xo,
alely

Aleks said...

so great.
thank you so much.
i was struggling as to what i was going to do for this.
now i know.
xox

Kristy said...

Love them all!

Ashley said...

Thank you Faith! I had no idea what that was. Can't wait to see what you come up with this weekend! I think the prompts are hard! haha

Reilly said...

great examples --- thanks for posting!!! :)

Michelle said...

Thank you for posting such a wonderful explanation. Farther back and closer up is really neat!

The Clip Cafe said...

Learn't something here! Thanks:-)

Lisa said...

Thanks for sharing!

Becky said...

Just about to post my first diptych, and this post was my inspiration! Thank you for explaining it so well--I linked up to here and hope others can learn from you, too :)