Visit me at my new blog Sweet Violet Photography

Thursday, February 17, 2011

a different kind of Before & After

I love seeing a behind-the-scenes post. It reminds me that I don't need a whole studio space to create a great image and inspires me for my next photo-shoot. So I thought I'd share these behind-the-scenes pics from a recent shoot with Henry for my Hugs from Henry project.
Hugs from Henry set-up
So here is my set-up:  I had two pieces of poster board (I paid under $2 for these) I used a stack of DVDs to prop my backboard up and some double-sticky tape to secure Henry where I wanted him to be.  You can see that I raised the blinds so that there wouldn't be any lines in my light - it was a pretty cloudy day so that worked. If it had been a bright and sunny day I would have rotated the blinds so that the light bounced off of the ceiling.

DSC_5728 3
Here you can see the set-up close up. By placing the monkey on the table I was able to get a pretty nice angle to shoot from - since there was a nice bit of room between my window light and my subject. I had to be careful to not cast a shadow on the sock monkey though.

Here is my SOOC shot. I cropped it a little, used Willette's Curves Boost  (this is part of her fan freebie set called action basics and is an awesome action - which I use it all of the time) then I cloned out the little bit of seam that was left. 

Henry
After

For more Before & After awesomeness check out the link-up at Pixel Perfect



11 comments:

Tiffany said...

Love the set up.....You know I am a big fan of the poster board:)

Dorian Susan said...

Gotta get me some of that there poster board. I got off-white counter tops and that helps a lot. Fun post-love seeing set ups-especially the ones I can copy.

Michelle said...

I love seeing set up's that I can copy at home! I hadn't thought of poster board before, putting it on my shopping list ;D

kbreints said...

Great crop-- love this shot! I recently made a light box for nothing. I love this new way to photograph.

elizabeth said...

i love showing the behind the scenes photos
you made me laugh
b/c i use the same - white poster board propped up w/ books or something behind it.
enjoying your posts! thanks

deb duty said...

Thanks for the pull backs. I always love getting to see what went into a shot.

Sarah Halstead said...

Looks great! I can't wait till it is my turn.

krissilugbill said...

oh how i have missed your blog! Love these shots, what a cute subject and great idea with the poster boards! Looking forward to catching up and your new blog look is fabulous!

Cat said...

cute! I need to pick me up some poster boards!

Carrie said...

Awesome. Thanks for sharing your behind the scenes shot. I see the cup of coffee. Is that a necessary component too? ;0) For me it probably would be.

Simply.Aya said...

Wow! I've never thought of doing something like this before. I always thought photographers had a big, fancy studio set. I'm so glad you shared this!