Visit me at my new blog Sweet Violet Photography

Monday, January 10, 2011

A new photo-editing link-up with Ashley Sisk

This link-up is too awesome to pass up. It is a little bit complicated but I think y'all will find it very informative and inspiring. I often get emails from my photography class participants asking when I'll be doing a photo-editing class but with a baby on the way I don't think that it will happen any time soon! So here is an awesome alternative - 52 weeks with Ashley Sisk giving tips and tricks of photo editing. (that woman has got mad photo editing skills!) You can read about how this link-up works on Ashley's Ramblings and Photos blog and then link up your SOOC image on Jill's Forever'n Ever'n Always blog.


The prompt (it's just a suggestion) is "winter" which is perfect because I was going to post a SOOC photo from today's winter storm anyway!

DSC_3314
Nikon D80 ISO500 f/5.6 1/500 200mm (shot with my 55-200mm lens)

Ashley & Jill posted their histograms so here is a snapshot of my levels. It's not the histogram - I didn't figure out where to view that in Elements until after I had snipped this - but they look basically the same. This is not considered a well-exposed image. The "ideal" histogram should have a rise in the middle of the histogram - but seriously that doesn't happen 100% of the time.

I took this shot in Aperture Priority mode. I took another in manual mode that is brighter but I think that this one will be better for editing. It's generally better to shoot slightly underexposed vs. slightly overexposed - since an overexposed shot will loose details and it is much easier to brighten a photo than to darken it.

Check back on Thursday for the edit! And if you decide to participate in this project - let me know!

12 comments:

Mandy said...

I need to link up with this new challenge! I'm a slacker. And about shooting in Aperture priority.... I actually always shoot in manual and prefer my image to be slightly over-exposed. A personal preference, of course. But I've always found my images to come out cleaner looking if I don't have to lighten them in photoshop.

Mom to 9 Blessings! said...

Faith welcome and can't wait to journey the year with you!

Your SOOC shot is great and I too agree will be beautiful once you do some of the editing suggestions that Ashley will share with us!

I have a tutorial on getting the exposure correct on my blog in camera if you are interested in reading it or sharing it.

Blessings!
Jill

Carla S said...

I'm participating, too, Faith! I think I am going to learn a ton about editing! Yay for great teachers! :)

Lynda said...

Awesome! Ashley is so talented! I'm excited to go read more about this and see what you do with the edit of the hydrant! I love the composition and perspective.

Chelsey - The Paper Mama said...

I'm excited for this challenge too!

jillconyers said...

I'm joining too and looking forward to learning more about editing. I need to figure out how to post the histogram.

Just Bits and Pieces said...

I'm linking up too! Love the yellow against the brown and white....can't wait to see your edit!

Liz said...

same here how in the world do you post the histogram???????

love and life ♥ said...

Such a cool photo! I can't wait to see your edit! xo

Ashley Sisk said...

I think it's a really nice shot and ya know, most of my histograms don't look properly exposed but as I'll show on Thursday...proper exposure according to my editing program doesn't look cool...not at all!

Natalie said...

Lovely! I looking forward to this! And congrats on the new baby! Love your SooC and cant wait to see what you do!

Kathleen said...

There's something so old school and fun about a fire hydrant...and it's so pretty with the snow! Can't wait to see how it turns out!