Visit me at my new blog Sweet Violet Photography

Friday, August 20, 2010

A Morning at the Park... with my little man

Yesterday I spent the morning at the local park with Josiah - and it was such a different experience than usual since it was just my little man and me. I watched as he bounced on a rocket ship and we pretended to fly over the park, I went down the slide with him and helped him try the monkey bars. Going to the park with all four of my kids is usually more like crowd control, I try to keep an eye on all of them as they play together, I offer incouragement and push a swing or two but playing with my kids - not so much. So it was really nice that he was the only child with me.
I also noticed, as we were walking away and I was feeling like I'd just spent thirty minutes at the gym, how much my perspective has changed since my oldest was Josiah's age. Then when I took my daughter to the park I was an anxious wreck! I constantly feared that she would fall off the slide and break her neck. She was fearless and would climb as high as she could and it terrified me when she was out of reach.
Since then I've learned that kids are generally smart enough to avoid jumping head-first off the play set. However I've also discovered that when your child falls from the top of the slide it doesn't necessairly mean that she'll injure herself. I constantly find myself wishing that I could have had this perspective & confidence when my oldest were little. Life is so much more enjoyable when I realiaze that I don't have to be the perfect mom for my kids to be happy and sucessful.

2 comments:

Ashley Sisk said...

Isn't it funny how your perspective change. I'm just so glad to know so many moms that are going to help me when we start our family.

Adriana said...

Thanks for stopping by, i"m following you too! Love your blog!