Visit me at my new blog Sweet Violet Photography

Monday, June 21, 2010

Miscellany Monday: Movie edition



Miscellany Monday @ lowercase letters
This weekend was movie-watching marathon at our house! So I thought I'd share my opinions about the movies we watched:

{1} Flicka 2:  Carrie is a street-smart city girl living with her aging grandmother is shipped off to her father's horse ranch in Wyoming, insert cliche defiance, loneliness and a romantic interest, sprinkle with dry humor and top it with a kiss and you've got a descent for-the-love-of-a-horse movie. The lead actress, Tammin Sursok does a fair job, despite her ridiculous wardrobe, her passion for her horse is beautiful and compelling. It's a good family-film, exactly like what you'd expect. Not better but not worse either.

If you're interested in movies about girls and animals I highly recommend Free Willy: Escape from Pirate's Cove with Bindi Irwin.

{2} Alice in Wonderland: The premise of the movie is that Alice has, according to prophesy, returned to Wonderland to slay the jabberwokky. Now all she has to do is believe in herself. (gag) I was concerned that, despite the PG rating, it would be really freaky, and while I decided that my 8 and under audience was not ready to see it quite yet I was pleasantly surprised that it was not as weird and scary as I thought it would be.

The Mad Hatter is really a wonderful character and while he is a little freaky looking with his huge green eyes and bright red hair thankfully Johnny Depp did not go over the top with his character. Helena Bonham Carter is the red queen and is a wonderfully comedic villan and I did not think she was scary at all. There is a huge furry, toothy beast but he turns out to be a good guy in the end also the jabberwokky scene was nice and short and not too scary, at least nothing worse than Enchanted. Unfortunately the white queen played by Anne Hathaway was a disappointment. I'm really not quite sure why they choose to make the "white" queen turn out so gray-looking with her black lipstick, eyebrows and fingernails. She just looks like a dull, impotent, vapid woman and not a pure-white glowing queen. In my opinion Anne Hathaway only got one good scene in the whole movie which is too bad for such a brilliant actress. Alice is played by Mia Wasikowska (who will be in yet another adaptation of Jane Eyre in March 2011)in yet another adaptation of Jane Eyre in March 2011) I wasn't thrilled with her performance it seemed flat and relied too heavily on costume (which were amazing) to communicate the changes going on with her character. And was she in love with the Mad Hatter? I didn't get what was up with their connection. The thing I liked best about this movie is that it was beautiful and dramatic without being romantic.

Moving on

{3} Leap Year: While it is sweet and romantic it is not what you'd hope for from Amy Adams. If you liked Confessions of a Shopaholic you'll probably like this, they are about the same type of sweet fluff. I was especially dissapointed with Matthew Goode's performance - it's basically Chasing Liberty all over again, but this time with an obnoxious Irish accent. The amazing location is this film's most redeeming quality the scenery is breathtaking and there were moments to really enjoy it, other than that I thought it was pretty lame.

{4} When in Rome:  Beth is a cute-but-single workaholic curator at the art museum and is in Rome for her little sister's wedding where she meets Nick, the best man who is charming and has amazing cell reception. At first I was terribly dissapointed with it. It is filmed entrely in New York - all the scenes in Rome are obviously filmed on a set, the plot is far-fetched and the cinnematography is disspointing. However Josh Duhamel made up for it with his physical comedy and Kristen Bell did a good job with her role too. I laughed and laughed and ended up really enjoying this movie. It is funny and so romantic!  Despite the PG-13 rating I thought it was family-friendly. There is one scene were Beth & Nick make out at Nick's apartment but it is really clean. So while it's not anything great it is an enjoyable ckick-flick.

 

{5} Toy Story 3: We saw it on Saturday in the Theater (but not in 3D). My kids (ages 8,7,4 & 2) all really enjoyed it! I thought it lived up to every expectation as a big-time Pixar production. There is an adorable little girl who adds so much to the movie. If you only take your kids to the movie theaters once this year I would say it should be to see this movie. Yes, it really was that good. Like the other Toy Story movies, there is one scary part but nothing that the kids will be talking about at bed time for weeks to come. We all enjoyed it a lot and are looking forward to buying it on DVD. While we were at the theater I saw the trailer for Despicable Me - really looking forward to that one!

9 comments:

Sarah Ann said...

I'm super cheesy so I liked Leap year, but you are right, the scenery kind of makes it :)

Veronika said...

We saw Toy Story 3 Friday & my 3 year old loved it. I agree it was a great Pixar movie (:

Kate said...

What a wonderful post! I haven't watched any of them, except for Alice in Wonderland - which I loved. Thank you so much for letting me know about the other movies - I love movies and am always thankful for new suggestions.

Have a wonderful day,
Kate

DORCAS said...

Half way through Toy Story 3 I had to take my 3 and 2 year old out. They couldn't stay still. I wanted to finish it so bad. Atleast my 7 and 5 year old enjoyed it with their auntie!

Thanks for sharing all the info. I will have to check some of them out!

~blessings

Dorcas

Q, La, and Gooner said...

So interesting! I am not interested in Alice in Wonderland because ever since Pirates Johnny Depp has gone way crazy, but I appreciate your reviews to know I can relax just a bit!

Corinne said...

Thanks for the reviews :) It's been forever since I've watched a movie... all the way through!

Little Miss Emmy Lou said...

I would love to see Toy Story 3! But if I am being honest and realistic, I will see it when it's on DVD! My husband loved it and so did our 2 year old! But I stayed back with the baby. :)

Having a 4 month old and a 2 year old is much more exhausting than I ever anticipated! But I am loving being a stay at home mommy. Just wish I had more energy!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

krissilugbill said...

i am seeing toy story 3 this weekend, so glad to hear its good, can't wait!

Betty Jo said...

Hi Faith, thanks for your visit to my blog. It's nice to meet you. The movie review is really good. I'll be babysitting my grands this coming weekend and Flicka 2 and Free Willy will be perfect for our movie choices.