Visit me at my new blog Sweet Violet Photography

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Day 4 : Inspiration, Heavy Metal and a frustrated mama

When I read the assignment for today I have to be honest - I freaked out a little. The first thing that popped into my mind was heavy metal music, and there is just no way I could ever ever find a way to photograph that, at least not without some sort of significant financial remuneration. After mulling on it and mentioning it to my husband, who suggested I photograph weights, I has a lightbulb moment. In my hometown there is this really cool stip of stores that I used to take the kids to and sprinkled throughout the strip are these super-cool bronze statues.  So this morning I packed the kids up for Library day and put my camera (rather precariously) in my purse and set out to see what we could photograph. Behind the Library there is a vetrans memorial, but it turned out to be marble and not metal. There is also this modern-art metal thingy which I snapped a couple shots of, then there was the metal park bench just a step or two away from that. That got me noticing my environment in a whole new way and before I knew it I was photographing one of those sewer man-holes. The light was extremely harsh which made everything a bit frustrating for me but I am reasonably happy with the shot I ended up with

(you can see more of today's photography on my flickr site)
Inspiration is such a crazy thing like that. I never set out to take a photograph of a man hole. That's for sure. Simply the act of picking up my camera and opening my eyes changes how I see everything.

I don't know about you but sometimes there are days that I wish I got to leave for the day like my husband does. Sometimes I just have one of those days  when it seems like I'm dealing with whining and inturrupting and demanding and fighting all freaking day long and all I want to do is go away to some place where I can tic things off of my to do list and have some form of adult interaction. I even tried to stop and enjoy my kids, I sat with them and snuggled them around me while they watched Word World - and then fell asleep.I am so very thankful that I get to stay home with them and that they get their mama home with them during these important years, but then there are those days and as I step back I see it as a reminder of what a big, huge hard thing it is that I am doing - motherhood.

Thank you for all of your sweet comments on my blog and on my Flickr page - it's been so much fun to meet you!

6 comments:

Abi said...

Sounds like we have had similar days! Library, photography, patience...
They say with kids more is caught than taught~ they catch our good and our bad.
Our job is very important!

There is something for you on my blog.

Lia said...

That is really funny that you shot a man hole too. The one I took a picture of is in our backyard and it was one of the first things I thought of when I read the prompt. I've tried to move it before and it sure is heavy. We are headed to the library tomorrow.

Jess said...

Oh, the whining and fighting is non-stop here lately too. And I have been so frustrated. I love when others blog about real life the way it is... some sense of "I am not alone" or something like that.

I found out about the Creativity Boot Camp too late to join, but I'm enjoying looking at the participants photos anyway.

Courtney said...

Hey, Faith! I think this is a really shot. I love how you set out to photograph something entirely different but landed on this. Very cool.

I'm your newest follower! I am looking forward to hearing more about your blog hop/photo challenges and am curious about your e-course. I'm rolling it over. :)

Ginger said...

I got this perspective change when I wanted to copy the "found alphabet" photo concept. Suddenly I was photographing stoplights, tree limbs, the arms of park benches, etc. It's fun to really look at things!

Little Mochi said...

Love the man hole, they really are kinda interesting when you stop and look at them.