Visit me at my new blog Sweet Violet Photography

Saturday, March 13, 2010

i'm bored so i'm blogging

We got up at 4am today so that we could drive to Augusta for the day. Daniel wanted to take the trip and I had the crazy idea that we could drive over there in time for breakfast at KrispyKreme. Have I mentioned that I LOVE KrispyKreme doughnuts?! I do, I think they are the best doughnuts ever and doughnuts are on my top five list of favorite foods, especially Kreme filled chocolate glazed. There isn't one near our house in Atlanta but there is one very near our house in Augusta. So the plan was that the kids would sleep in the car, we even dressed them for today and let them sleep in their clothes so that there would be minimal stimulation. I honestly thought that was a good idea at the time. We used to do that when I was a kid all the time. My parents would leave crazy-early in the morning and my sisters and I would sleep with our heads on each other's shoulders until we stopped for breakfast at Cracker Barrel. Apparently I missed an important element to my parent's genius because the only one who has slept is Josiah. This could make for an interesting day. Maybe they'll sleep on the way home?
I'm really excited to be seeing the house again. I haven't spent much time at our new house and I'd like to take some better photographs and plan out what furniture we'll have room for.
Right now our house kind of looks like a second hand furniture store. Before I started listing stuff on craigslist last week we had duplicates of almost everything - two kitchen tables, two couches, two washing machines, three dryers, an extra stove, an extra dresser, too many chairs, too many book cases. When I look around at all the crap we have managed to accumulate I have a WTF moment. I would love to just leave it all and start over. We did buy some bunk beds from Target.com (I heart Target) and new comforters for the kids rooms. Which has been a nightmare. Did I mention that it takes me FOREVER to make decisions? I am definitely in the top ten of the most indecisive people I know. We went to Target two or three times and we finally ended up buying Beth & Josiah's at Wal-Mart, and I'm not crazy about them, but Beth picked hers, so she at least is happy.
We are all pretty eager to be moving, a month has felt like a long time to wait. It's been a month of goodbyes, which just sucks, period. We are all ready to just get it over with.
On Sunday it's Day Light Saving time, right now I'm listening to a podcast about about it, talking to the author of a book about it called "Spring Forward" and he said all the reasons why we're told it's a good idea are total bunk. This author said that it increases some forms of spending, and that's about all. I HATE time changes, with a vengance. It makes bed times more difficult, it makes mornings more stressful. It doesn't matter to me which way the time changes I just hate it. I know I'm not alone in this. I'd be happy if we just stay on Daylight Savings Time year-round. Oh well. How can the argument "it sinks for mothers with small children" go up against everything else?
anyway... the sun is up now and it's really beautiful (when it's not shining right into my eyes) we're driving past fields filled with fog and surrounded by bare trees. I see the sunlight is reflecting off the fog then we come around the corner into the sunshine, it's nearly magical. And despite the fact that I'm crazy tired and a bit sick of being cooped up with the whole family in the van, listening to the kids chatter and bicker, I really am happy. And I'm glad I got to see the sun rise this morning.

No comments: