Visit me at my new blog Sweet Violet Photography

Sunday, December 13, 2009

home

The kids and I spent the weekend with my parents. The thing about driving to their house it have been there so many times I sort of drive on auto-pilot which gives me time to think.
Yesterday I was thinking about what it means to "abide". I just finished reading "Wide Open Spaces" by Jim Palmer, which I thoroughly enjoyed , and he wrote a lot about "the abiding way". I read a book back when I was pregnant with Beth, it was one of the first books that truly disturbed my idea of spirituality. It is called Abide in Christ by Andrew Murray, I read the book with huge question marks in my brain. I was like "what does this all mean?!!!!" I was thinking yesterday about what it is not- it's not just a fuzzy feeling. It's not something inelectual, but it can't be merely an issue of obedience and the choices we make. That was when I realized - like one of those lightbulb moments that is is all of those things... I feel like I just have a corner of this realization but living with more questions answers is something I am learning.
We had a fun time at my parent's house. Beth made a gingerbread house from a kit (the gingerbread tastes so bad it is practically inedible) Emma made sugar cookies, Katie-A made a Christmas refrigerator magnent with Mum and we helped Papa put up the Christmas tree. There is always an unusual experience to be had at my parent's house. I tried horseradish mustard for the first time and listened to a bit of midevil chant as we decorated the Christmas tree.
I am so glad to be home now. Even with the dirty dishes by the sink and the baskets of clothes in my bedroom. I'm really really happy to be back home!

No comments: