Visit me at my new blog Sweet Violet Photography

Friday, July 17, 2009

movies, school supplies and too little sleep

I watched Rachel Getting Married last night. I was alone witch a beer and some Dove chocolates after a very long day and I enjoyed it a lot. I think it is one of those movies that not everyone is going to get but I loved it. I think it might be one of the few movies I'd consider buying. You could call this movie a portrait of the self-obsessed and while I felt incredibly sulky afterwards it really challenged me about how I have handled and continue to handle pain. As someone who has lost a sibling I connected at a certain level with the sisters' pain - although my circumstances are very different than those in the movie.

On a totally different subject, have you noticed all the school supplies have gone on sale? They're not just on the end caps anymore, they are in those obnoxious center-isle displays so that you can't miss them. I love buying notebooks and pens etc. etc. but surprisingly I hate buying school supplies. I am just totally not in the mood. I have penciled in a day on my calendar to take care of everything in one fell, hideous swoop. Until then I'm pretending that summer will just go on forever. It's gone by way too fast. I want more of it. I want more late nights and late mornings and pancake breakfasts and movies in the afternoon. In those moments of hair-pulling frustration I do look forward to not having to wrangle all four kids all of the time but on the whole I think I'm going to miss summer, even if I have turned back into psycho-mom. Mostly this is due, I think, to a total disregarding of bed-times in our home. Seriosly, my kids haven't gone to bed before 9pm all month! Then I check my email, flickr & facebook and it's already like eleven o'clock for-crying-out-loud. Oh well.

No comments: