Visit me at my new blog Sweet Violet Photography

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Because I just can't help myself!!

So, I hope my few and faithful blog readers aren't totally sick of my new favorite topic - {frugaliciousness} doesn't it just look so cute in those brackets? Anyway, I figure everybody want to save money these days so when I find something awesome, or at least mildly interesting, I'll share it here!
I went grocery shopping for a week only spend $49!!! I just love those weeks. My menu plan for this week is really simple. I'm on a 15th to 15th schedule for when I get money for groceries so I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel a bit and also trying to save every quarter for our vacation (more about that in a sec) I'm making Hamburger helper (had a coupon for that) and Mac & cheese with chili (had a coupon for hormel chili), I think I'm going to use the leftovers to make some sort of chili macaroni stuffed green peppers (since I got a bunch from my brother in-law). I decided to experiment with low fat hot dogs and bought a package of fat free beef hot dogs and low fat turkey hot dogs. I usually buy the all-chicken hot dogs that used to be .99 at Food Depot back when Beth was a toddler. If you have any suggestions about low(er) fat hot dog options leave me a comment, please! I'm also going to do Orzo spaghetti and fish w/ rice (on sale + I had a coupon!). I usually marinate my Halibut or Talipa fillets in Kraft Roasted Red Pepper salad dressing. On Mother's Day my sister said she uses this for beef & chicken too!
I found a new place to print coupons! It's BettyCrocker.com there's really nothing fabulous about this site but if you're like me and can never have too many coupons for yogurt (or cake mix) than this is a nice little addition.
So, about this vacation. Since the end of last year I've been saving money to go on my first ever vacation. I was going to go stay at my great-grandmother's cottage on the lake but the radiator in the van is leaking and Daniel just started a new job so I would be traveling twelve hours away with four kids 7 and under to stay in a cottage by the lake for a week, by myself. I was really looking forward to it. Really. But as I was thinking about it more and more it seemed better to try to make it work for us to vacation as an entire family. So last night I booked a motel for the weekend after school gets out. It'll be quick but hopefully a lot of fun. Here is my {frugalicious} advice: 1) Search on Expedia.com they have a really nice search engine and I really did save quite a bit of money by booking through them. 2) Price check on priceline.com because they often did have lower rates. 3) Consider going to Myrtle Beach if you want to rent something for the family with a kitchenette, the prices are really good. I really wanted to rent one with a kitchenette because I figure we'll save a bit of money on food if we eat at least most of our meals in our room. If you buy two boxes of cereal and a gallon of milk that's about $6-$9 you really can't feed a family of 6 for less even at McDonalds. I've also been stockpiling things like pop tarts and mac & cheese and snackies for the last couple of months so that'll help too. If you buy a little bit of butter and use that milk from the cereal the total cost of one meal will be, like two bucks. Again, where are you going to feed a family of six for less than that?! I'm hoping the weather cooperates (at the moment it's cold & drizzly) but I figure a weekend away from the distractions of home (and no internet) can't be a bad thing.

No comments: