Visit me at my new blog Sweet Violet Photography

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Apparently I can't help myself

So I just got back from grocery shopping and apparently I simply can not contain myself and have to share a little bit of the super-awesome deals and links I found this morning.
First of all - did you know that Publix is having a reusable shopping bag campaign? If you buy two participating General Mills products you receive a free Publix reusable shopping bag - which are WAY better than plastic bags. Publix is also having some great buy one get one free sales. One of the best deals I got at Publix was one I discovered on the Tribal Talk blog Publix has Arm & Hammer laundry detergent for just $3.99 plus I printed off a $1 off coupon and saved even more! Then I printed off a $4 coupon for Knox which if you only buy the plain gelatin gives you an "overage" which is money that applies to your grocery bill beyond the cost of the item you're buying - how cool is that? Here is something from Southern Savers that I learned today (and wish I'd known about earlier)
1. You do not have to buy 2 of the B1G1 items to get the sale price
2. If you do buy 2 items that are B1G1 make sure you use 2 coupons to get the best deal
3. Publix accepts competitors coupons (you can stack with a manufacturers coupon and a Publix coupon too)
4. You can use a store coupon and a manufacturer’s coupon on the same item
5. Most Publix locations double manufacturer coupons that are .50¢ or less
**1 & 5 do not apply to Florida stores**For a detailed explanation of Publix’s coupon policy go
here.
I thought that was very helpful. Also Publix is runing this special where if you buy one of the national brands and a Publx brand (on selected items) you get the Publix brand for Free - so bascally a BOGO offer. Which was very handy.
Moving onto my Kroger shopping trip - this is where I do most of my shopping so that I can get a 10 cent per gallon discount on gas @ the Kroger gas station - they were doing a buy 4 Quaker products get $4 off so I did that plus I had $1 off coupon for 2 boxes of Life cereal so that worked out nicely. They were also doing a promotion $3 off any three Proctor & Gamble participating products. One of the participating products was Gilette razors and I had a $2 off coupon (I think from pgesavers.com) for it so I paid only $1.79 for Daniel's razors! I love saving my Kroger Plus card for the end and watching the total bill for my groceries plummet. It's such a great feeling. I know, how lame is that? But it's a great feeling knowing that you've done well at something that can be measured numerically.
ALSO I found another blog post today about menu planning that totally rocks! She types her menu into her google calendar (which I use ALL the time) she repeats the family faves and emails herself a reminder with a link to the recipe. How cool is that? Genius! I noticed in the comment section that several people used these notepads which are freaking awesome. My method to menu planning: 1) take note of what I still have in my pantry and plan a meal (or two) from what I have on hand. 2) plan two nice meals - this would be something that I haven't made recently and that costs a little bit extra - something like meatball subs, lasagna, enchiladas etc. I often browse through some back issues of recipe magazines 3)plan on making breakfas for dinner one night, usually Sunday night 4) fill in the week with cheap standards like hot dogs, mac & cheese, manwiches etc. If I was super-organized I would check the sales-flyer's first and I would keep a file or something with recipes I want to try, but that really doesn't happen right now.

No comments: