Visit me at my new blog Sweet Violet Photography

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

My brother


On Saturday night Ian, my sixteen year old brother, killed himself. It was completely unexpected - he seemed to be doing really well and was enjoying his Christmas break as far as any of us can tell there was no warning that he would attempt something like this. There has been so much sadness but also so much love. I am greatful for the grace God has shown to us during this terrible time. The meals from church friends meant so much. We could just sit and eat soup and be exhausted and sad.

I spent the today with my sisters for the first time in many years. We worked together to make a mourning wreath for the door and we looked through the boxes of photographs so that we could put together an album of my brother's life.
It's so hard to find words to express how this has affected me. It doesn't seem real.

8 comments:

Amy said...

oh, Faith. I am so sorry. may God provide the peace and comfort you need.

lifemoreabundant said...

I'm so sorry.

Marianne said...

Prayers for you and your family, Faith.

Chrysanthemama said...

I am so terribly saddened and sorry for the loss of your brother. My thoughts and prayers are with you everyday. I ache for you.

kbreints said...

What a terrible thing to go through ... I am so very sorry for your loss. i am sure almost two years later it is still a very fresh wound around the anniversary. Enjoy your time with the family this year!

brittanygodfrey1 said...

Oh Faith... I was so touched to read this. Blessing to your family for the holidays and in remembrance of Ian.

Jess said...

Faith, I am so very sorry. I haven't visited your lovely blog in awhile and was checking out a few of your recent posts and ran across your link to this one.

I imagine that Ian's shoes in that pic say so much about his personality! :)

It just burns me that so many people think it's okay to die of cancer or heart disease, but then they go and put suicide in a "different" category... depression is an illness like any other. It's just so hard for those who haven't dealt with mental illness to imagine it in that light... for what it really is.

(Sorry for my rant.)

Prayers to your family.

Jen said...

I am so sorry for your terrible loss